Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ginger Versus The Giant Dresser

This poor dresser had been beaten all to heck & was having a bad day when I picked it up. When I say I picked it up, I mean that literally. For the record it's larger than it looks in this picture, & is solid, heavy wood. Managing to get it in & out of my van by myself was...challenging, to say the least. I'm sure there were neighbors peering out their windows chuckling at my attempts to unload this thing without damaging it more than it already was. 

BUT! Once I finally got it unloaded & into the workspace in my garage (See  the paint 'mishaps' on the concrete? Those happen on occasion...but at least you know I'm really doing all this stuff on my own!) I realized I like it far more than I had originally. 

I'm probably going to spend at least a week or so going over different ideas in my mind about what I am going to do to this thing....in the meantime the score is currently Ginger: 1, Giant Dresser: 0.



3 comments:

  1. After thinking about this for a couple of minutes I realized that there is quite a lot you could with this. You could remove all of the drawers from one side, put a mirror in the back,a light in it, glass shelves and a glass door. One half can be the dresser side and the other like a curio cabinet or armoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope your neighbours weren't watching! Surely, if you see a tiny Southern belle struggling with a giant dresser, you get out there and help!

    It'll be interesting to see where you go with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it's mid to late 60s, early 70s. Would be nice to know who the manufacturer was. Solid wood or veneer? Dovetailed drawers? Solid back or ply? Vaguely oriental base.

    One suggestion: refinish the whole thing gloss deep piano black with minimalist drawer pulls and use as base for similar piano black flat screen. Silver pulls to match silver(ish) flat-screen base? If you're super handy, then modify the top two drawers to fold down rather than pull out to accommodate satellite box, Blu-Ray player, or whatever. And if you're super super handy modify one side - the three lower drawers - to swing open as a cabinet to accommodate a mini-tower and have the flat screen double as a monitor via wireless keyboard and mouse. (We're talking about sitting across from it on a sofa - not a *couch*! - or something.) Remaining drawers for media storage, cables, and assorted whatnot. Ports in back and single 1.5 inch center port on top for cables, ventilation, etc.

    Anyway, that's one idea, and much more interesting (and profitable) than just a chest of drawers.

    Have fun.

    Just a thought.

    VicB3

    ReplyDelete