Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cake Batter Chex Mix? Oh C'mon, You Know You Want Some!

Also known as 'puppy chow', 'cake batter buddies', 'muddy buddies', etc. Hey, I don't know why it has so many names, but it apparently does. Anyway, I made some of this earlier today, & considering that it was mostly just things that happened to be chillin' in my pantry, it was pretty dern easy.

Wanna make it? You're going to need the following things:

1 box of Corn Chex (I used the 'big' box.)
1 bag of white chocolate (You can use almond bark, but I like chocolate.)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of heavy cream (I'll be honest, I used way, way more than one tablespoon, but I blame that on the fact that I am Southern & cream is never put to use in the 'recommended' quantities.)
1 cup of powered sugar
2 cups of yellow or white cake mix (Not the batter!! The dry mix.)

Ready? Here we go:

Throw your white chocolate chips, butter, & heavy cream in a bowl. 


Pop said bowl into the microwave & do 20-30 seconds at a time. Watch carefully, because nothing is more awful than having to throw out burnt chocolate. Love the chocolate, pay attention to the chocolate. I beg of you...

When it all starts to melt together, it will happen fast. I think I threw this back in the microwave another 25 seconds & it was totally melted & ready to go.

You can also melt this down using a double boiler...but seeing as I have no double boiler in my life, I have no photos or opinions of making in it one. 

In a different bowl , throw in your Chex cereal. 

Slowly pour in your chocolate mix & stir it all like it is going out of style. You need to coat everything. I'd say to coat things evenly, but I am *so* not able to actually do that in my kitchen. Hey, I never said I was perfect...

Put your cake mix & powered sugar together in a bowl. Mixing them together so that they're  not just cake mix with powdered sugar on top is probably a good idea. I spent like...30 seconds mixing them with one another.

Know that bowl of chocolate coated Chex you've got just hanging out waiting on you to give it some love? Go get it. Dump, fold, drop, or any other version of 'add' your cake mix & sugar mixture on all that chocolate-y goodness.

I guess you could technically stir it all together, but I took the easy way out-I put it all in a Tupperware bowl, snapped a top on (tightly!), & shook it like I was at the Chex Shaking Olympics. No, I have no photos of myself shaking the Tupperware, you're just gonna have to trust me on this one.

And then.....you get this:


Store these bad boys in an air tight container, and nom whenever you're in the mood for some cake tasting goodness.





No comments:

Post a Comment